Wednesday 11 March 2009

Items Worth Saving For...

Last week the chaps over at Get Kempt brought Details' recent article on Investment Pieces to our attention and it has been on my mind ever since. The idea of buying investment pieces is one we have been looking into for some time and is one we firmly believe in. The article sucked us in with the following statement... "Ostentatious displays of wealth have gone the way of the seven-figure bonus. These days it's all about thoughtfully acquired items that can subtly spruce up a wardrobe and still look fresh a year later" but unfortunately lost us with this seasons top ten. Get Kempt's dissection of the article is spot on with "the result is a few safe staples mixed into the same trend-driven stock they’ve always specialized in". Is the tipped cardigan really a time less essential? Or as The Sunday Best pointed out is $200 for a polo shirt really a good investment? We think not. With this in mind we'd like to share our pick of the items which we think are worth saving those pennies for and the 'Worth saving for' post will be a regular feature.

Below are a selection of items which have captured my imagination in recent weeks and will no doubt force me to scrimp and save my pennies until I can have them in my possession.



YMC Sheep Suede boots, £89
Do I need another pair of casual shoes like this? No but that doesn't stop me wanting these. These are everything I want in a shoe and more.

Folk drawstring cotton and wool cardigan, £119
Folk collections are typically understated with an attention to design and detail which makes the individual stand out and this cardigan is a prime example of such design and detailing.

Burberry Prorsum Trench
This fashion house has always been synonymous with trench coats (quite rightly so, given the fact that Burberry made the first trench coats in 1914) but Bailey has helped create variations which turn this practical staple in to something to truly covet. The SS09 Crumpled Classics collection was full of light and airy options which fit perfectly with my vision for the season ahead.

Bespoke Suit
I have mentioned my 'bespoke suit fund' for some time now and it is moving in the right direction but only slowly. This for me is the investment piece. Giancinephile recently posted about his love for Kilgour and I will certainly pay Mr Brandelli a visit during my hunt for the right suit for me.

Jil Sander Contrasting Collar Trip Poplin Shirt, £220
A man can be rejuvenated simply by wearing a crisp white shirt. This one by Jil Sander is simple yet is given a slight twist with the contrasting collar.

Stingray Orwells by Mr Hare
Ever since we interviewed Mr. Hare I've been thinking about wearing these shoes and I will no doubt continue to think about them until I own them.

Luggage by Globe Trotter
My mind is currently filled with dreams of escape and Globe Trotter offer my kind of handmade luxury luggage. These British classics have been around since 1897 and have been the choice of royalty and politicians...so why not me?

An honourable mention needs to be made to the white and blue cotton shirt by Comme des Garçons with ombre-style fade from top to bottom which EJ posted about earlier this week, because this has now been added to my list.

4 comments:

Ca said...

Oh... the Burberry trench is my ultimate investment piece. Classic and forever stylish. One of these days for sure, hah!

Giancinephile said...

I'd also like to own luggage from Globe Trotter! I'd much appreciate it if I have a set in the same colour, same style and different sizes. hahahahaa

Valextra is also something I'd like to have for travel. It has a very impressive branding and their ad campaigns make the label so desirable on my behalf.

As for suits, maybe if I have GBP 3,000 then that's prolly the only time I'll dare go to Savile Row. haha

Anonymous said...

If you are paying £220 for a shirt then you would be better getting it made - it would be better quality fabric, better quality stitching, better fit and you can have it 'just so'

Anonymous said...

Rather than spend £220 on a ready to wear shirt why not get one made - better fabric, better stitching, much better fit and you can have the style exactly as you want it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails